Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 5 EOC: Superbowl Commercials Good and Bad

Video Source
I thought this Super Bowl commercial was just simply brilliant. It was very memorable for both Volkswagen fans and Star Wars fans!  The ad was just cute and hilarious all at the same time. The commercial was able to say so much in such a short few seconds. It's basically about a child in a Star Wars suit pretending to be Darth Vader. He is running around the house struggling to use the force. His dad soon comes home and helps him out by giving him an extra boost of "the force". He is shocked at the end that the vehicle had started by his help. This ad was great because not only did it emphasize the remote start feature of the Volkswagen, but it incorporated Star Wars' "Force" to accomplish it. This was just an overall great commercial.  It targeted adults, children, Volkswagen and Star Wars fans all together. Great job VW!


The commercial I chose ad for my bad list was the Motorola Xoom. I thought this advertisement was counter productive. In the commercial you see a guy sifting through crowds and crowds of people wearing white jackets and white headphones. Towards the end he reaches his office and gets the attention of a girl who also seems to be hypnotized with her white coat. I get the point of what the commercial was about. Everyone in white was supposed to represent Apple customers and the guy was supposed to represent something different. This ad was just counter productive for me the second I seen everyone wearing white it reminded me of Apple products. The second I seen a touch screen device it reminded me of the iPad. I thought this was an iPad commercial, therefore it made me want an iPad. I totally disregarded this tablet as a Motorola product. I was more interested in the iPad. This could just be because I am and Apple Product owner, but this commercial just wasn't working for me.

Most commercials during the Super Bowl are pretty great, some aren't. Either way the creative directors and designers of these ads did an amazing job. With closing, just to put it in perspective, it was an average of $3M for :30 of air time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment